One Club, One Sport, One Activity Every Student, Every Year
McNary High School is proud of it’s opportunities for students to get involved. Extra curricular activity is one of the keys to becoming a successful student and gaining real-life experiences that prepare students for life after high school. Explore the opportunities to get involved in Athletics, Clubs or Special Programs to get a head start on a prosperous future.
Why the push for student involvement?
- Recent studies show that those involved do better in school.
- They have higher GPA’s.
- They do better on ACT/SAT Tests.
- They have higher Attendance Rates. They have fewer discipline referrals.
- A study looking at social adjustment in making the transition from middle school (8th grade) to high school (9th grade) found involvement in sports helped students with friendships during the transition.
- “Continuous involvement in sports and initiation of academic activities was associated with having more friendships.”
- Involvement in a moderate number of activity domains, among academic/leadership groups, arts activities, clubs, and sports, promotes a greater sense of belonging at school, increased academic engagement, and higher academic performance as measured by grade point average according to a study of urban, ethnically diverse students (40.7% Latino; 16.8% African-American, 12.7% Asian-American, 11.2% Caucasian, and 18.5% other ethnicity or two or more ethnic groups).
- Schools can maximize the impact of these activities by encouraging disconnected, low achieving students to join a couple of activities.